[ale] Low-end tapedrives for SOHO environment

Greg runman at speedfactory.net
Sat Mar 20 12:26:06 EST 2004

I use at home a box with a lot of space for hd's and software RAID 5 for my
primary house weekly backups.  All pc's on the internal network have a nite
to backup.  On my personal pc I bought a board that supports a mirror'd disk
array (2).  This is for hd failure, and not human error (erasing files) or
software error (bad files to begin with).  CVS/Subversion would take care of
the human error.  MD5 checksums when available would take care of the
second.  I set up my Win2k main box (what I am using now) to backup my Data,
Programs (downloaded stuff mainly in zip formats), and My Documents to the
RAID array, which is on SAMBA and ran by Libranet (Debian derivative) and to
do so every Sat nite.  Every now and then I will use Norton Ghost to burn
cd's of my main box (takes about 15 of them) so that I can do a full install
with the exception of my Data and Programs partitions (which are on the RAID
array).

For the church, I would suggest a hd (mirror #1), a caddy (mirror #2), and
samba for a backup server.  Backup every nite with a cron job.  That is the
cheapest, except for perhaps a cd burner.

For your wife and son, I would suggest building a box with a lot of hd's,
software RAID 5, and running samba.  On Friday nite have your wife leave it
running, and use a MS program (or samba's backup) to backup her full disk to
the RAID box.  On Sat, have your son's laptop do this.  I would be very wary
of MS Backup - it is not dependable, somthing to do with keeping the
original config file for the backup.  Norton Ghost or something else is more
dependable (voice of experience).

I keep my servers pretty much -stable OpenBSD xxx (xxx = latest version)
with only few changes (why I like OpenBSD - secure by default). So a version
upgrade is possible with very little to do, with the exception of the
mailserver, which runs qmail.

Well, good luck and tell us what you end up using.

Greg