[ale] Low-end tapedrives for SOHO environment

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Fri Mar 19 19:33:20 EST 2004

Stephan Uphoff wrote:
>> Say you have a full backup, the machine crashes, you replace the
>> drive. How do you easily get the bootable system back from the full
>> backup?
>

> - Boot with a rescue cdrom - create partitions - make file system on
> partitions - restore each partition from tape - re-initialize grub -
> reboot
>
> There are also a few bare-metal backup/restore utilities ... but tar
> was always good enough for me.

I realize there are solutions, I just don't see that they're going to do
you any better then a clean install, then reintroduce your backups.  I
like the idea you're starting with a clean slate.  Then again, the full
backup will give you all the previously installed software without
having to retrace those steps.