[ale] Low-end tapedrives for SOHO environment

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Fri Mar 19 17:48:00 EST 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 17:16, tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:

> Longer term archival style backup
> ("here are my financials, business letters, and product for 2003, first
> quarter") CD/DVD would seem to make more sense. I'm not sure how legal
> records would affect the balance. (Could be an interesting situation too)

Real world tests of CDR (ie. Not pressed, but burned) have not been as
good as tape.  IIRC the failure rate was unacceptable at one year.

Tape is still being recommended for archival backup from what I have
read.

Many commercial backup packages are now supporting: disk to disk to
tape(d2d2t).  (HP calls it Mezzanine backup.)

d2d2t is supported by Veritas, Tivoli, HP, CommVault, Legato at a
minimum.

The intermediary disk can be restored from but would only hold a limited
number of backups.  The tapes are removed and taken offsite for archival
purposes.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer