[ale] Security on apache2

Armsby John-G16665 John.Armsby at motorola.com
Thu Mar 18 17:43:27 EST 2004

All,

I am running RedHat 9 apache2.

On earlier versions of both I could easily password protect a directory:

<Directory "/home/dc/vault_dir/ExternalDocuments/Security_dir">  # non document root path
AuthType Basic							# document root is /var/www/html
AuthName "Security"						# vault_dir is sym linked to document root /html
AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/pass/passwd
<Limit GET>
Require user Security
 </Limit>
</Directory>

This does not work with Apache2

If I set up a directory structure based upon the document root with no sym links:
/var/www/html/Security_dir

<Directory "/var/www/html/Security_dir">
AuthType Basic							.
AuthName "Security"
AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/pass/passwd
<Limit GET>
Require user Security
 </Limit>
</Directory>

It works.

The Apache documentation states:
"Be careful with the directory-path arguments: They have to literally match the filesystem path which Apache uses to access the files. Directives applied to a particular <Directory> will not apply to files accessed from that same directory via a different path, such as via different symbolic links. "

THIS REALLY INCONVENIENT.

Is there a work around with symbolic links?

John