[ale] PCI-X cards and backwards compatibility...

Stephan Uphoff ups at tree.com
Wed Mar 17 19:18:49 EST 2004

trey.darley wrote:
> So, I thought I'd slap an old Adaptec 2940 into my new IBM eServer.
> The notches don't quite line up. Is this a voltage-draw issue? What gives?
> I *thought* PCI-X was totally compat with PCI.

PCI signaling level is either 3.3V or 5V.
Most modern cards can handle 3.3V and 5V and have two notches.
3.3V only cards have a single notch toward the outside of
the motherboard (when mounted)
5V only cards have a single notch toward the inside
of the  motherboard (when mounted).

Your PCI-X is 3.3V and your Adaptec 2940 is 5V only.

My Dell server has a (two?) legacy 5V PCI slot(s) .. take a look at your
documentation
maybe the same is true for your IBM eServer.

	Stephan