[ale] Adaptec 2940UW bios updates

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Tue Mar 16 13:54:15 EST 2004

On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 11:09:02AM -0500, Dow Hurst wrote:
> Jim,
> Why don't you list the hardware out for us and the software your running?
> Could be that someone will notice something.
> Dow

I will list the minimal configuration since I have stripped it down to
eliminate potential problems.

Asus A7N8X-X mb
AMD XP2600+ (Barton)
Kingston KVR400X64C25/512 - 2 sticks - 1GB
Sapphire Radeon 9200 256mb agp 8x
Adaptec 2940UW scsi adapter
IBM DNES-318350W drive
FUJITSU MAC3045SP drive
NEC 464 scsi cdrom
SEAGATE STT8000N scsi tape
1.44 floppy drive
Enlight 420 watt power supply

Running Debian Sarge with all updates and kernel 2.4.25

I have tried running memtest86 boot disk and I either get huge number of
errors at the end of test #5 and beginning of #6 or the system will lock
up. The mb setting for the cpu is 166MHz and the memory speed is
supposed to be set correctly by the bios. The bios reports the memory
speed as 200MHz however dmesg shows it as 333MHz. The system will lock
up leaving no errors in the message log. Several program will sometimes
segfault. Sometimes they may refuse to load. I have contacted Asus about
it however no response yet.

Thanks,

Jim