//hostname/ shares (Was: Re: [ale] Quick LInux Quiz)

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Mar 16 13:47:45 EST 2004

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 07:12:56PM -0500, Stephan Uphoff wrote:
> Think - automounter from hell :-)
> //hostname/ would access the root directory of host 'hostname'.
> ( Not NFS - I believe this was based on some statefull protocol)
>
> I encountered a Unix system like this more than 15 years ago.
> Hopefully all these systems are dead by now.

Why?

Probably the only thing I miss from using windows is the ability to
access shares on the network using \\hostname\share syntax.  Samba used
to come with an interactive shell that would accomplish the same thing,
but a change in glibc broke this behavior.

Currently, I'm using an automount map script that watches the /smb
directory and automounts all shares on a remote host via smbmount.  This
works reasonably well, but isn't perfect.  I'd love to hear a better
solution.

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9