[ale] OT: Laptops.

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Tue Mar 16 05:51:12 EST 2004

Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 20:14, David Corbin wrote:
>
>>On Monday 15 March 2004 08:30, Dow Hurst wrote:
>>
>>Emperor certainly has the right hardware, but it seems to me it's got a markup
>>of $500 over a comparable Dell system (seat of the pants comparison).  That's
>>not worth it to me.
>

> I had the same issue with Emperor.  Looked like I would have been paying
> a LOT of money for a sight-unseen laptop with no local remedy should I
> run into a problem.  That's what drove me to Best Buy, where I picked up
> my first-ever personally-owned laptop - the eMachines M6805, with the
> AMD64 CPU.  I whacked the WinXP install the first full day I had it and
> immediately set out for the bleeding edge with 64-bit Gentoo.

Jeff, aren't you here in the Atlanta area?  I thought you were.  Emperor
is as well, right off of 41.  I realise they jack the price up, but you
get what you pay for.  They provide a very nice Linux install, your
choice.  I had a dual boot and requested and older version of RH because
that was what my client was running.

Further, I've had good success with support since that time, including
kernel upgrades with their customised kernels and other issues.

Further, for those of you in the Atlanta area, you can do as I did, go
down and pick your hardware up.  Meet a good bunch of folks.

The only issue I see with dealing with Emperor is the additional cost,
but in my mind, you get what you pay for.