[ale] replace monitor

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Mon Mar 15 22:05:49 EST 2004

I found this monitor-detection thing a big surprise today when I tried
connecting the SVGA port of my laptop to a regular monitor for the first
time (I wanted to know if I was even getting output in advance of
potentially hooking it up to a projector later in the week).  This
laptop has the "wide-screen" display and I was worried what would
happen.  Anyway, initially, the monitor just cut off the left and right
sides of the display, but upon restarting X, X set itself up for the
monitor and put the built-in display in pan-'n-scan.

- Jeff