[ale] GPL Question.

Keith Morris - IQ keith at iqtv.com
Mon Mar 15 16:27:59 EST 2004

Recently I have been playing with PHP-Nuke which is released under the
GPL. In a couple of places, the php code has comments that say that you
*MUST* leave some information which PHP-Nuke displays on it's generated
pages intact (things like "Web site engine code is Copyright ? 2003 by
PHP-Nuke. All Rights Reserved. PHP-Nuke is Free Software released under
the GNU/GPL license.")

But if I want to remove these sections, even though the code says I must
ask for explicit permission from the author to remove this, doesn't the
fact that it is being released under the GPL allow me to do whatever I
want with this as long as I am not redistributing it?

just curious...

--
:: Keith Morris
:: Creative Director