[ale] Secure NFS

Mon Mar 15 13:18:15 EST 2004

ALErs,

I recently had a failure on my laptop; the reiserfs tree got messed up
on my laptop. I want to protect myself somewhat from this happening
again, especially since I have a lot of important school work on this
laptop. Also, I do some work from my home desktop and I would like to
keep documents synchonized. On the synban.com server I have a tape
back-up drive that will help me do backups of this stuff. So what I
would like to do is export an NFS directory from the server and mount
that dir on my laptop and the desktop. This way I can backup that
directory once a week with a cron job and also keep my stuff well
synchronized.
Now, I would like to give access to this NFS shared directory to my home
network which will be easy enough. The problem comes with giving access
to the KSU domain to that NFS directory. If I give read/write access to
all the KSU domain (b/c my IP on the laptop changes constantly), this is
a security risk. Any ideas on how I can give access to myself from
outside to NFS? How can I accomplish my goal? Can LDAP help me in this
situation? I have learned the basics of LDAP but I have never actually
implemented it. If this will solve my dilema, I will go more in-depth
and learn LDAP.

Yours,
Emil