[ale] iptables slowing down the website?

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Sat Mar 13 13:26:59 EST 2004

I tried it with dns on udp, but it still does the same thing.

Here are my rules:
iptables -P INPUT DROP                   #drop everything by default
iptables -P OUTPUT ACCEPT           #let anything out

# allow some incoming requests
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p udp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 3306 -j ACCEPT

When these rules are enabled, the pages take about 10 seconds to load.
When the rules are disabled, the pages display almost instantly.

Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks again,
CB