[ale] Customer data not our problem

Danny Cox danscox at mindspring.com
Fri Mar 12 18:08:54 EST 2004

Bob,

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 17:18, Bob Toxen wrote:
> American Airlines and Verizon are part of the latest trend of e-commerce
> companies putting fine print in their "Terms of Use" that states that if
> a security breach on their systems cause compromise of customer data
> that they are not liable:
>
>      http://security.ittoolbox.com/news/dispnews.asp?i=110879&t=6&a=Security
> Read the fine print and take your business elsewhere and tell them
> why you are!

	While I agree with you there Bob, simply placing a "we're not liable,
nyah, nyah, nyah" in their terms of use means nothing.

	For example, if you rent sports equipment, skiis, poles, boots, etc,
you'll be forced to sign a 'rights waiver' saying that if you are
injured in any way, they are not liable.  Well, it's not worth the toner
and paper used to print it.  In the US, anyone can sue anyone at any
time for any reason.  It's just a psychological ploy.

	Not that I'm really that litigous y'know.  Just stating facts.

	Hey, don't look at me that way!  Are you ASKING for a lawsuit?

Danny