[ale] [melissa_j_greenwood at bankone.com: Bank One - Opportunities inMidrange Engineering]

Jerald Sheets jsheets at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 9 23:54:34 EST 2004

Well...

Pull up by the fire kiddies, and I'll tell you a story of cluelessness
and intrigue.  One of a major bank company in Columbus, Ohio and the
people they take a dump on.

Back in early 2002, I was realizing that my taking a position in this
hole called Baton Rouge was most likely a mistake.  My best friend and I
were looking for a job...any job in a better part of the country with
better schools, etc. etc.

We were both contacted by Bank One within a day of each other.  After a
pretty lengthy interview process, they decided it was prudent to bring
us both up for interviews.  I went first, my friend the following week.

When I arrived, I was put up in the local Mariott, which was nice.
That's where nice ended.  I was instructed to phone one Joel Spieth
first thing in the morning to talk with him.  Aparently he was a veep of
some sort over the Midrange systems group.  We had a cordial
conversation with the usual questions.  He asked about what my favorite
job was ad why, etc. etc.

When I got off the phone with him, my driver picked me up to go over for
a drug test.  By the time I had filled the cup, the driver had
instructions to bring me to the airport.  (my flight wasn't until the
next day)  I called Bank One to explain.  None.  I re-called Joel...he
wouldn't answer.  I called the early interviewers, and they had heard
nothing, and it distressed tham, as they thought I was a great fit...I
called HR, they had no word other than to send me home.

It took THREE WEEKS for someone to pry out of Mr. Spieth that he had me
sent home.  Also, the reason *why* he sent me home.  I finally had to
get the answer through my recruiter.  It's quoted below:

>Joel was unhappy with ... you answer to, "what was the best job you
have had and why." To the question about 'best job and why' you
responded, according to Joel, that there     >was one particular
position you had where you were on call and out of the office most of
the time and no one knew what you were doing.

Let me relate the story in short:  I had related my experience at a firm
where we had so integrated our monitoring solution with a remote
response solution that we could actually be out of the office for lunch
or a doctor's visit and respond to incidents via our 2-way pager.
Moreover, we had been taken to a Redskins game as a treat by the staff,
and actually had an event while there.  I picked up my pager, issued a
response diretive, and resolved an issue from the game, never havng to
phone anyone or leave the game.

It's customary (and only polite) to finish the interview process if you
have the person in town, all flown in an dressed up.  No such nicetie.

Fast forward to my buddies interview.

He arrived in the morning, but had no such similar interview with Joel.
He did the drug test and went in.  When he arrived there, NONE of the
people he was scheduled to see were in at all.  NONE.  Nada.  Nil.  He
sat around speaking with various other team members here and there, and
eventually had to catch his shuttle to come home.  When he returned,
people whom he had never seen or interviewed with said he either hadn't
come in, or they hadn't seen him and weren't sure why.  They essentally
dissed him in a number of ways just like I was.

I'm told by some inside source sysadmins that Joel is no longer directly
in that same position, but is still an unholy terror to work with, and
at a whim can send you packing due to his high level in the company.

New friends, please step lightly.  I don't know if they're still this
brand of broken, but I doubt it.  This position (specifically in the
midrange group) has come open no less than ten times in the last two
years. This tells me that something is horribly broken there.

If you decide to go for it, good luck, but please be sure it is
something you really, really match and want to do.

Thanks for listening.

Jerald