[ale] Hardware probs(was Need Help w/Debian Sarge...)

Jim Seymour bluejay at speedfactory.net
Sun Mar 7 12:05:24 EST 2004

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 05:07:41PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> Jim Seymour wrote:
> >On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 04:40:53PM -0500, Geoffrey wrote:
> >
> >>http://www.memtest86.com/
> >

> >Thanks. I'll give it a try.
> >

> >>Check your manual on the mb, mine tells me what speed memory it
> >>supports.
> >

> >>From my manual I have:
> >
> >Max. 3 GB unbuffered PC3200/2700/2100/1600 non-ECC DDR RAM Memory
> >
> >The ASUS website listed the Kingston KVR400X64C25/256 as compatible.
> > Wanting more memory I used Kingston KVR400X64C25/512. Seemed like a
> >good candidate at the time :-) I have tried removing and changing the
> >sticks around. No change in flaky behavior :-(
>
> Did you check the bios to see what speed the memory's running at?  You
> should be able to clock it down to 333 and you'll be good.

Thanks Geoffrey,

	Reading back over the emails I see you mentioned running PC3200
memory at 333MHz without problem in an earlier email. I read it at the
time however I didn't "absorb" all of it. My apologies. The motherboard
manual could have done a much better job providing info on correct
processor/memory setup :-| Hope to be able to make it to one of the ALE
meetings sometime and meet some of you folks and thank you for your
help.

Thanks,
Jim Seymour