[ale] [WAY OT]Putting a motor on a rocking chair

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sun Mar 7 00:12:20 EST 2004

I'm not much of an engineer, and I get really get weirded out by hacking
furniture.

OTOH, gear down the electric motor, and work the chair with an eccentric
cam. Let the cam rock the chair by acting against something on the
floor. Figuring out how to smoothly vary the eccentricity of the cam is an
exercise for the reader...

Another approach, probably easier on the floor, would be to oscilate a
mass below the chair. Run the mass back & forth on drawer rails (think the
wheeled things on the drawer of a filing cabinet).