[ale] bittorrent

Dylan Northrup docx at io.com
Sat Mar 6 12:00:36 EST 2004

A long time ago, (06.03.04), in a galaxy far, far away, Geoffrey wrote:

:=I'm trying to figure out the gain of using bittorrent.  I guess it's
:=simply the reduction of the load on mirrors and servers.

Got it in one.  I know some folks who've done releases using bittorrent and
the comparison of load on their servers between ftp and bittorrent was
amazing.  The difference was between their 4 servers getting constantly
crushed during the initial release and the 4 servers running smoothly with
no crashes.

:=I started a
:=bittorrent to get Mandrake 10 yesterday.  Now it's 3 cds so I know it's
:=going to take a while, but right now I'm getting 11 KiB/s and have
:=downloaded 399 M.  That's barely 1/2 of one of the cds.  ETA is 44 hours.

Have you turned on uploads?  I got crappy performance until I turned on
sharing.  After some futzing with upload numbers I got my download speed up
to good speeds.

--
Dylan Northrup <*> docx at io.com <*> http://www.io.com/~docx/
"Harder to work, harder to strive, hard to be glad to be alive, but it's