[ale] (fwd) Is this a trojan/worm?

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Fri Mar 5 19:00:33 EST 2004

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 10:51:45AM -0500, tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
> Well this showed up in the mail spool this morning. It is obvious social
> engineering here, as I run this domain, but I'm usure what these turkeys
> are trying to do. Pine didn't bring all the headers forward, but I can get
> them to you if you want it.

> Anybody recognize this garbage??
Yup.  The latest virus.  It has clever social engineering to get people
to open the attachment.  Some variants talk about the email server being
down, use this alternate one.  Others talk about account cancelled.

The virus and spam filter I created had no problem blocking it for
my clients.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]