[ale] (fwd) Is this a trojan/worm?

fgz fzamenski at voyager.net
Fri Mar 5 15:22:26 EST 2004

> Well this showed up in the mail spool this morning. It is obvious
social
> engineering here, as I run this domain, but I'm usure what these
turkeys
> are trying to do. Pine didn't bring all the headers forward, but I
can get
> them to you if you want it.
>
> Anybody recognize this garbage??

> If you think Education is expensive
> Try Ignorance
>                    Author Unknown

> Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 10:40:53 +0200
> From: management at digichem.net
> To: tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
> Subject: Notify about using the e-mail account.
>
> Dear user of e-mail server "Digichem.net",
>
> Your e-mail account has  been  temporary  disabled  because of
unauthorized access.

> Further  details  can be obtained from attached file.
>
> In order to  read the attach you have to use the following password:
34183.

> Best  wishes,
>    The Digichem.net team                     http://www.digichem.net

Yes. I'm seeing these in my private and work email accounts sneaking
in, along with the the usual dumb varients. Some of the varients are
just pathetically sad in the basic spelling, syntax, and grammer
departments, and it would be funny if it wasn't all so serious, as the
point is to, or course, run the attachment. I don't know if
the 'passwords' are even relevant, I've never run one. ;)

Who else thinks that email, as we know it today, is all but doomed for
serious business use?

-fgz