[ale] dd - how long should it take?

J.M. Taylor jtaylor at onlinea.com
Fri Mar 5 14:39:36 EST 2004

Greetings ALErs

Anybody ever been crazy/desperate enough to dd a 9gb SCSI disk?
We've had a dd going on a Sun 450 for hours now.  dd as far as I know
doesn't offer verbose, so it's just quietly sitting there.  *Something* is
happening between the disks b/c the little green lights are flickering on
them.

This has 4 400Mhz processors (but during dd only one would be used,
afaik).  No idea the amount of ram, except that it's over 1Gb.  We used a
1024 block size..the disk we're dd'ing from is giving us some going-bad
warnings so we don't want to access it too much for fear of it outright
dying.  Any advice on how long this should take would be...calming. :)

Thanks
jenn

--
Jenn Taylor