[ale] USB mouse and hotplug

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Thu Mar 4 09:10:35 EST 2004

I have a USB mouse (microsoft 5 button optical scroll mouse).  I've noticed
that it often locks up for about a second, which is very annoying.  I have a
touchpad, too, and it doesn't seem to lock up as often, though I can't swear
to that.

I've had a "tail -f /var/log/messages" open in a shell window for a while, and
I see lots of messages like this:

Mar  4 09:02:25 mhirsch kernel: usb.c: USB disconnect on device 00:02.2-1
address 12
Mar  4 09:02:26 mhirsch kernel: hub.c: new USB device 00:02.2-1, assigned
address 13
Mar  4 09:02:26 mhirsch kernel: input0: USB HID v1.00 Mouse [Microsoft
Microsoft IntelliMouse? Explorer] on usb1:13.0

That looks to me like hotplug is losing the mouse, then seeing it again.  I
haven't yet been able to confirm that this coincides with the mouse locking
up, but I have my suspicions.

Anyone know why my mouse keeps getting lost?  Is this normal?  Is there
anything I can do about it?

Thanks,

Michael