[ale] Two SSH access questions

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Tue Mar 2 09:54:55 EST 2004

ALErs -

I keep stumbling setting up two SSH options, and I wondered if there are
simply disabled in my configuration settings.

The functions I can't seem to use are:
 1) RSA authorization so allow direct login with the client user's RSA
    key stored in his/her directory, and
 2) Exporting the X11 $DISPLAY to the user's external login, i.e.:
    $ ssh -X <remote_host>

I am running RH-7.3. I installed OpenSSH and OpenSSL from sources (not
'rpm's) and they self-identify as:

 $ ssh -V
 OpenSSH_3.7.1p2, SSH protocols 1.5/2.0, OpenSSL 0.9.6b [engine] 9 Jul
2001
 $ /usr/sbin/sshd -V
 sshd: illegal option -- V
 sshd version OpenSSH_3.7.1p2

Thanks for any suggestions - both functions worked in earlier
installations. (Don't recall if they were 'rpm's or source-built.)

 - John Mills
   john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu