[ale] Software RAID Problems

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at comcast.net
Mon Mar 1 20:37:57 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 00:31, Greg wrote:
> I have read in several places that you should not put 2 drives on a cable -
> just use 1 HD per cable per IDE slot/bus.  One master and no slaves.  Of
> course that means having a box with a lot of slots and several controllers
> (I try to buy my HD's whenever a manufacturer includes a controller), but
> that is how I have mine set up.  I have 3 drives in a RAID 5 array and 3
> other disks in the box.

It's my understanding that the one-drive-per-cable thing is only a
consideration if you care about speed.  If you want to maximize storage
per dollar spent, then, by all means, double up on your IDE buses. If
your file server or workstation has lots of RAM and therefore room for
lots of disk cache, your particular usage pattern may make the speed hit
you take for doubling up on the IDE buses rather inconsequential.

- Jeff