[ale] OT: ADSL modem bottleneck

Mike Murphy mike at tyderia.net
Mon Mar 1 15:00:36 EST 2004

In the Telco monopoly's defense: I've had Bellsouth ADSL for nigh on 2.5
years now. I use my linksys home router for the PPPoE part, and a linux
box to keep my dyndns.org record updated. In all that time, I've
averaged about one IP address change a week (except for 2 or 3 times
where I've seen 2 overnight -- I presume they are doing some
maintenance), and only one extended period of downtime, about 8 months
ago for most of an afternoon and evening, when there was some issue that
afflicted most DSL subscribers inside the perimeter. Other than that,
its been troublefree. My only other annoyance has been their slightly
wierd MX vs A records for mail thing that's led to me having to use
[mail.bellsouth.net] with the brackets in my sendmail.cf to send all my
mail the "right" way.

I've got my trusty old A1000 too (its, geez, like 6 years old now), and
in all the time I've used it, I've never noticed any weird duplexing
behavior. And I do all sorts of crazy stuff, like heavy duty gaming, and
IPSEC and other sorts of vpn on that connection. I always get 1200+ down
and 200+ up though, too.

Mike

Mike Murphy
781 Inman Mews Drive Atlanta GA 30307