[ale] hard drive electronics change

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Wed Jun 30 18:22:46 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 17:53, Vincent Fox wrote:
> I've done that once. On most drives some screws hold down the
> mainboard and it's mated with some connectors on the bottom.
> Pop one off from a same model, move it to broken drive and
> you are hopefully good to go. Unless of course the lack
> of sounds means the motor died or otherwise siezed up.
> I imagine then you make a trip to data recovery place
> and $pend if it's worth it.

If you do have to send it to a data recovery place, providing them a
working drive of the same type may save you some money.

ie. One of the things they charge for is finding spare parts to fix your
failed drive.

Also be sure not to break the vacuamm seal around the actual platters.
If you remove those screws and let in a bunch of dust, you may not be
able to recover anything.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer