[ale] SuSE 9.1 USB drops devices?

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Mon Jun 28 11:52:07 EDT 2004

Has anyone had any problem with SuSE dropping a USB device?  This weekend I was going to transfer some files from my USB drive (14GB laptop drive in an enclosure) onto a SuSE desktop system and it seemed to lose the connection as it was transferring the files.  SuSE detected the drive and opened a window for me to do a drag/drop.

Everything seemed fine until I came back with my coffee and noticed that the progress bar was not moving.  The lights on my enclosure showed it was powered but nothing was accessing the device.  Re-opening the device was a no-go.  Unplugging the device, logging out, logging back in, and reattaching did nothing (it didn't even detect the device).

Unplugged the device and rebooted.  Upon logging in and reattaching the device it was detected, but still dropped the connection during the transfer.

Device works well on any other system (Knoppix, Debian, 9x, XP) and I haven't noticed any dropoffs on these other systems.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Preston