[ale] Permission hell question

Sean Kilpatrick kilpatms at speakeasy.net
Fri Jun 25 13:35:42 EDT 2004

On Friday 25 June 2004 07:19 am, Geoffrey wrote:
| What does the entry in /etc/fstab for the zip look like?  Are you
| mounting it manually or permitting some automounter system to do so?
| When it's mounted, what does 'mount' return?

fstab entry:
  /dev/hdd4    /mnt/zip      auto  noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

more interesting data: upon running the command "mount /mnt/zip"
I get this:

[root at localhost kilpatms]# mount /mnt/zip
[root at localhost kilpatms]# ls -l /mnt/zip
total 78
- -r-xr-xr-x    1 root     root        69632 Mar 10  2002 ea data. sf
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         2048 Apr  9  2002 found.000
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         2048 Mar 11  2002 graphics
drwxr-xr-x    5 root     root         2048 Jun 21 18:27 Scripts
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         2048 Jun 21 18:22 sounds
- -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          312 Mar 11  2002 wp root. sf

Note that the directories on the zip platter do NOT have
write perms.

when the zip platter is mounted via the "mount /mnt/zip" command
listed above, the "mount" command returns this line (among others):

/dev/hdd4 on /mnt/zip type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev)

BUT,
after sending the command "umount /mnt/zip" I clicked on the
desktop icon, which automounted the platter and opened a Konky
window with the directory structure properly displayed.  With
that window still open on the screen the "mount" command does
NOT indicate that the zip platter is mounted!

I remain clueless in Atlanta.

Well mostly clueless.  fstab refers to /mnt/zip.  The automount
icon on the desktop is opening /misc/zip.
the applicable line in /etc/auto.misc looks like this:
zip  -fstype=auto,nosuid,nodev,gid=users,uid=nobody,umask=7 :/dev/hdd4

Now, while the file window is open on the desktop for the
zip platter as /misc/zip and I can read files thereon,
the command line tells me that there are no files/directories
in the /misc directory! ie, /misc/zip does not exist.
But it does. It's open on the desktop!

Sean

sometimes Linux/unix is not as straightforward as the
ads claim. <grin>