[ale] Permission hell question

Vincent Fox vf5 at plm.gatech.edu
Thu Jun 24 19:21:36 EDT 2004

> >Have a zip drive.
> >It is mounted at /misc/zip/
> >On it is a directory: /Scripts/wake/ and I want to
> >change the ownership-Group of all the files in that
> >directory. Got the command right and was told, for
> >each file, "Operation not permitted."

Stab in the dark here.

I occasionally ran across odd behaviour where the permissions
on the underlying mount point would cause problems.

Like if /misc/zip was 000, mounting on top of it even if the
mounted drive was 777, I'd get errors.

I was always too rushed on the rare occassions I saw this
to document the weirdness, I'd just unmount and chmod and
remount and move on. Worth a try.