[ale] Oracle DBD-DBI

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Mon Jun 21 19:50:21 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-21 at 18:24, Armsby John-G16665 wrote:
> This is probably a repeat questions BUT I can find the previous
> answer....
>
> I am running redhat 9 std install.  I want to connect to a remote
> Oracle 8 machine via Perl.  I have the DBD Oracle 1.5 tar file.
> Unfortunately it complains about an ORACLE_HOME environmental
> variable.  perl Makefile.PL bombs out....
>
> From reading the clients.readme file, it appears that I must have
> Oracle files on my machine in order to access Oracle on another
> machine.  I am a bit confused.  My expertise to date is win32::odbc
> with perl and access.  My plan is to move Access to MYSQL but I also
> have to get at a table on a remote Oracle 8 machine.
>
> Anyone use DBD to get at oracle?  What do I have to install?

Basically, to use Oracle, you have to install Oracle. (Nearly)
Everything but the actual database itself. It's a real PIA. There are
sites around (sorry, I have deleted them as I NEVER want to install/f**k
with Oracle again!) that have nearly step-by-step instructions for
getting the bloated piece of junk to be usable on Linux. Oracle web site
has some instructions that are not very useful.

The ORACLE_HOME variable needs to be set to point to the
machine:path/to/oracle/binaries where the real database is installed.
Plus there needs to be privileges added to the server to allow
connections from the remote clients. This is a PIA for remote access
machines on DHCP. Those need user/password access (which can conflict
with the setup for the DB itself).

Currently, the best/easiest way to connect to a remote Oracle database
is to use the java client that comes with Oracle.

The more I had to use Oracle, the more I like flat text files for
n-dimensional storage arrays :-|