[ale] College Linux tips, advice, cool stuff?

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Jun 21 07:50:09 EDT 2004

Jay wrote:
> Hi all, just wondering if anyone has tried College Linux, and if so, if
> they have any tips or advice for me.  I was given a PIII to play with so
> I put on FreeBSD, which didnt want to work with my mouse or X in
> general, so I decided to hold off on FreeBSD and went with College Linux
> instead.  It seems pretty decent from the few minutes I've spent on the
> box so far.
> Anything that's helpful to know about College Linux right off the bat?
> Any cool things about it? Useful features?   Fun stuff?
> I'm fairly new to linux but I learn quick and I wanted to try some new
> distros besides Mandrake and Red Hat.  Debian, Slackware, Gentoo and
> Xandros are also on my list to look at at some point.  Any thoughts or
> input is appreciated!

I have no experience with College Linux.  Just a quick suggestion
though.  If you're new to Linux, you might consider sticking with larger
distros if you'll be looking for assistance.  There's absolutely nothing
wrong with checking out smaller distros, it's just that there'll be
fewer folks with experiences to assist.  It all depends on your
personality, if you're into spending a lot of time on such efforts,
excellent, as you can likely become a quick resource for others.

That aside, if you take a good look at College Linux, please post to the
list your opinions, findings, likes/dislikes of the distro, as I'm
always interested (as I'm sure others are) in hearing about the lesser
distros.