[ale] Booting a Win XP drive with grub without reinstalling?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Jun 17 08:57:25 EDT 2004

John Wells said:
> But when trying chainloader +1, I get "ERROR 13: Invalid or unsupported
> executable format".  Searching google on that right now, but if you have
> any insight, feel free to pass along.

I found out what was contributing to this...I had a promise card with an
extra drive in this system, and oddly enough the promise card's drive was
being represented as hd0, which caused the other drives in the system to
be numbered in an unsuspected way.

So, I pulled the card and left only the linux drive and the windows xp
drive in the system to minimize the possible points of failure.

Now, I boot into grub and execute the following:

map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
makeactive
chainloader +1
boot

According to the docs, this should work.  The XP drive only has one
partition on the drive, so I believe the root no verify is correct.

Everything goes as planned with no errors until I type "boot".  Then, the
screen goes black, and garbled white characters display at various points
at the screen.  Hitting enter a few times makes it obvious that I've been
dropped back to a grub prompt with some very messed up characters.

I'm at a loss now.  I'll probably make the XP drive primary tonight and
try using the XP bootloader instead, but if anyone sees anything glaringly
wrong with my process here, please let me know.

Thanks!
John