[ale] voting machines

Irv Mullins irvm at ellijay.com
Sun Jun 13 13:20:23 EDT 2004

On Sunday 13 June 2004 01:05 pm, Jim Philips wrote:

> There was some complaining in the press about geeks who raised the flags on
> electronic voting. The line was something like this:
>
> "First these guys tell us computers are great, then they want to start
> complaining when we use them for elections."
>
> There seemed to be little understanding of the fact that often experienced
> computer professionals are the ones with the best understanding of the
> limits of the technology.

I have to believe the understanding is there - after all,
if large numbers of mechanics declared that this year's
Ford/Chevy/whatever auto was a POS, most people
would believe them, and avoid buying that car.
And the media would report it even if it might mean
losing some income from the ads.

In this case, it seems as if they do not want the
public to hear criticism from people who are qualified
to speak regarding the accuracy of the system.
To me, that indicates that there must be some ulterior
motive involved.

Irv