[ale] [OT]: Solar Panel Electronics

Benjamin Scherrey scherrey at proteus-tech.com
Sat Jun 12 18:15:57 EDT 2004

6.8 watts is not too much at all but you need to find out what peak wattage and constant wattage
requirements are. Most ratings only show their constant power usage so its best to be able to burst
to double that but there are a lot of rules of thumb for how long and how much. Generally people do
not power devices directly off the solar panels as power is quite variable in most conditions. This
typically means a battery-fed power supply that is ultimately powered by your solar array. Kinda like
an online UPS. These shouldn't be too bulky for your power requirements considering how big your
panels will be anyway but they certainly add weight to the solution. Good thing is that panels have
gotten smaller for the power they generate but their costs are still relatively high. So much depends
on what your use is that its impossible to give much more detailed advise than that. Sounds like an
interesting project. You walking around finding wireless access points this summer? :P

	best regards,

		Ben Scherrey