[ale] ACPI APM, Power Management Mandrake 9.1

Berlin Brown bigbinc03 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 13:13:23 EDT 2004

 have been scratching my head on this.  I just put together a machine, I have put 8-10 machines together in the last couple of years.  Anyway, I use my default Mandrake 9.1 install, on my other machines, I never have to worry about the monitor or CPU shutting down.  This machine which is an AMD1.7,generic Socket-A board(PCBOARDS? bought in Norcross actually), very new board, the monitor or harddrive will not suspend.  I am not at the machine, but I remember it had an 'Energy Ally' logo that displayed on boot, in the BIOS, I had apm and acpi enabled, and I think an 45min and an hour.

I went to KDE3.1(Control Center) and made sure the Enable Power Management are set and the are, the times dont match for
example I have 22 minutes for the Monitor suspend and 40 minutes for the machine suspend.

Normally I never touch lilo, but I decided to change one of the kernel options to acpi=force?(actually that may have worked, I will find out tonight).  Should I use apm=force also?

Anybody have any ideas, like I have said, normally I never worry about power management, it just works.  I am thinking that my board is too new and doesnt work with this kernel which is 2.4.21.

It doesnt really bother me, I guess I dont care if my monitor runs all day, just strange is all.  And are there any benefits at all for powering down a machine, suspending the monitor?

Sorry if I Sent this twice, email problems

Berlin Brown