[ale] Georgia Library PINES Program News

Brad LaJeunesse bradl at georgialibraries.org
Sat Jun 5 11:05:18 EDT 2004

All,

While this isn't Linux-related, it is open source and Georgia related, so I
figured people here would be interested.

A little bit of background first: as some of you may know, the majority of
Georgia's public libraries operate off of a single, central automation
system, to which they connect via the internet. (This automation system
stores information on the books, patrons, etc in the libraries, provides the
web-based catalog, and supplies the "business logic" behind functions like
circulation periods and fines.)

Further, books and other materials may flow freely between all of the PINES
libraries. So, for example, if you live in a small rural area, and your
local library doesn't have a good selection of Linux books, you can request
materials from other PINES libraries, free of charge. These materials will
be sent (usually within a day) to your home library. You can then return the
material at any PINES library, and it will be sent back to the owning
library free of charge. So, PINES is a huge resource-sharing network at it's
core. As far as we know, we are the largest library consortium anywhere.

There is no software available written with our needs in mind. We've
struggled with proprietary library automation software since the inception
of PINES in 1999, but much of this software was written for a much smaller
situation, such as a regional system with, say, 12 branches. In talking with
other larger libraries and consortia around the country, we find that many
have the same problems that we do, but to a lesser extent.

To cut a long story short, because of the above conditions and other
circumstances, we have decided to develop a library automation package
designed for a large library consortium like PINES. We are also going to
release this automation system (known in the library world as an ILS--
Integrated Library System) as open source software-- most likely under the
GPL.

As a side note, there are obvious similarities between the open source
movement and libraries, and we are natural allies. Both try to enrich their
members through sharing and disseminating knowledge, and both are open to
everyone, private or public, commercial or non-commercial.

This is really big news in the library world. No one, on our scale, has
attempted to do something like this in the library world. Open source
software really hasn't taken hold in the library world, and we are hoping
that this will help move it along.

We'll be posting job ads shortly for the programmers we will need to start
work, and we will certainly post the job ads on the ALE unemployed list.
Alternatively, for those of you out there that want to help Georgia and/or
public libraries, we'd really appreciate any help you can give. We are
currently developing an information website, and after we get out of our
planning stage, we'll be posting information about things we need on there.

Anyway, the full announcement from Georgia's state librarian is below.

Brad LaJeunesse, PINES System Administrator
Georgia Public Library Service
www.georgialibraries.org

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
--Walt Disney