[ale] 3270 On Linux

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Fri Jun 4 10:59:40 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-04 at 09:39, Christopher Fowler wrote:
> I have a customer who has many AS/400 machines.  I need to access their
> consoles remotely via Twinax.  If there a way I can do this.  I intend
> to place a linux machine on site to connect to the Twina.  I will then
> ssh into the Linux machine and communicate with the AS/400 with what?

I've done some 3270 interfacing in the past.  I even spent $25K on one
with a Java API so we could automate some data entry tasks.

All my experience was with windows based products, but I was amazed at
the poor quality of some of the emulators.

Definately do not assume that a company that makes a good vt220 emulator
will have a good 3270 emulation.

I found both functionality and serious speed issues, so if you find
something that looks good on paper, be sure to test it first-hand before
you commit to it.

If I were you I would see if IBM sells a emulator that runs in Linux.
Their windows emulator is pretty good.  (I just wish it had an API.)

HTH
Greg
--
Greg Freemyer