[ale] #$&#% virus writers!

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Tue Jul 27 10:36:46 EDT 2004

We've been getting POUNDED the past 3 days with the new MyDoom variant
emails (5-10 per hour). They all look like an email bounce
(postmaster at blah) notices and contain a zip file with a .exe file that
has 20-30 spaces in the name before the .exe part. The beginning of the
file is username at emaildomain  so it looks like a return bounce.  For the
past 2 weeks my domain has been being probed for non-existent user users
by sending 2 emails a day to a generated list(better than 10,000
attempts). Simultaneously, ALE mail has dropped of the radar completely.

The headers are below for the morbidly curious: (I cut out the
attachment part as it is a virus.) Note the "originating" domain looks
to be mine. That is not part of my domain IP address scheme. I
tracerouted about 10 of the various IPs and the last resolvable domain
name (3 hops to final) were all .cn (China).