[ale] Strange email behaviour

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Fri Jul 23 13:50:01 EDT 2004

On Friday 23 July 2004 09:38 am, runman at speedfactory.net wrote:
> I am subscribed to the list group and I have double checked this on the
> admin page.  My list group mail comes from ale-bounces at ale.org at home.
> However I cannot post to the group at either ale at ale.org or the
> ale-bounces at ale.org address.  I get no bounce or "mail not delivered"
> messages when I try to post a test messge.  *However*
>
> I can post to the list just fine when I use speedfactory's webmail.  Any
> ideas, clues, hints on this ??

Are you sending direct SMTP from your box to the MX record for ale.org, or are
you configured to go via your ISP's smtp server?  If the former, try
reconfiguing to go through your ISP.

The ALE server used to be very wierd about email.  It would put in a bunch of
checks that sould often break things for people behind NAT, or not in DNS,
etc.

Michael