[ale] Updating a RH9 server...

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Fri Jul 23 13:44:18 EDT 2004

On Thursday 22 July 2004 02:41 pm, Jay Finch wrote:

> Basically, I'm trying to find a free update service (like up2date was
> before the RHEL migration) which will handle the updates for a RH9 box.
> Is there such an animal I could install?  (And someplace that contains
> some fairly easy-to-follow instructions would be helpful too.  I'm not
> afraid to get in and do some hacking to make it work, but a good start is
> always helpful.)

There are apt (or yum) available update servers, but the real problem is that
RH9 is no longer supported, so there are no real updates available.  If all
you want is the ability to install rpms without having the CD, I can send you
some pointers.

Otherwise, you can either find a pay service, or switch to a more modern
distribution.  Two services I know of are progeny.com with a RH support
distribution, and tummy.com with their KRUD distribution.  Both are
reasonably priced.

For updating, you should be able to load up apt, point to the fedora apt
server, the do "apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade" and after a log while
you will have a current Fedora distribution.  You could also install RH
enterprise, or one of the clones, but what is the point?  Those are based off
RH 9.  Anything else will involve a complete reinstall.

Michael