OT: Google the new RTFM (Was: Re: [ale] Internet Access around Atlanta)

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Fri Jul 23 12:28:52 EDT 2004

Jordi Bunster wrote:

> On Jul 23, 2004, at 12:08 PM, Mark Angeli wrote:
>
>> Anyone notice how google is the new RTFM?
>
> Sad, but true. The original poster's question wasn't as obvious as
> some of the ones I get sometimes, though. People asking for aprox.
> prices for certain off the shelf items, or if I know the website for a
> certain band / company / TV channel, etc.
>
> Have you seen that cartoon of Bart Simpson writing "I will use Google
> before asking dumb questions" on the blackboard, ad infinitum? :)
>
>     -- Jordi \

This is all true and I agree with it. However, we have this problem
at Lockheed. If you have a web browser open to anything but the
internal website you are immediately labeled a "surfer" and are
accused of wasting time. Even if you are looking for something
for work or are taking a couple of minutes (literally a "couple"
of minutes) to look up something, you are labeled as a time waster.
It's OK to sit around and talk to each other about things that have
nothing to do with work at all for hours (which I have see done
every data), but the second you open a browser and particularly
if go to Google, you have been branded for life.

So, sometimes I use post to ALE and ask stupid questions in the hope
that someome will find a usefule link for me via Google. I know
it's dirty and I apologize. Unfortunately, it's my only choice to get
any work done. Sigh...

Jeff

--
Dr. Jeff Layton