[ale] OT: F-Prot experiences?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Jul 22 17:10:11 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 20:46, John Wells wrote:
> Guys,
>
> These days, I'm forced to do a bit of work on Windows XP. I'm in the
> market for a virus scanner, and thought of F-Prot, only because I've seen
> it mentioned as a Linux based option in the past, and I like to support
> companies that support and produce software for Linux.
>
> Any experience out there with their for-Win product?  How would it compare
> to something like McAfee or Nortons?

F-prot works better than either in some respects and lacking in others.

Better: The updates happen as often as you schedule. If you are totally
paranoid (running M$, you should be) you can update the signatures every
hour. The scanner is fast and effective. F-Prot is not a current target
for virus writers to attack directly and break (as Norton and McAffee
both are).

Lacking: It doesn't seem to check incoming email attachments
automatically. That has not been a problem for my people as the email is
already being filtered by MailScanner running F-Prot on Linux. However,
I have not actually sent a virus attachment to test it. I have been
trying to get people to learn to save the attachment outside of the
email arena and _then_ open it.

The price on F-Prot is terrific and none of my people have been hit with
anything since they installed. However, if the need is to install 100
copies, it will require some admin keyboard time as they don't have a
scriptable push process like the Norton Enterprise.