[ale] Linux for various server processors

Greg Freemyer freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com
Thu Jul 22 15:09:13 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 14:16, audilover at speedfactory.net wrote:
> On 7/19/2004, "Greg Freemyer" <freemyer-ml at NorcrossGroup.com> wrote:
>
> >I want to put together a collection of Linux Boot CDs that can basically
> >run on any server.
> >
> >The ideal solution for me right now would be to have a knoppix CD for
> >every platform, but I think they only support Intel.
> >
> >So I will have to be happy with a SUSE CD in rescue mode for one
> >platform and a Redhat boot cd for another.
> >
> >Does anyone know of a website that lists the various CPUs and what Linux
> >flavors are available for it.
> >
> >ie. What are my choices for a HP Risc box, HP Alpha, SGI Risc, IBM
> >RS-6000, etc.
> >
> Knoppix is based on the Debian distribution.  Since Debian supports all
> of these platforms (except some of the SGI Risc), you should be able to
> create a Knoppix-like CD for each.  At present SGI RISC support in
> Debian is limited to the Indy.
>
> The SGI RISC based systems graphic are not frame buffer, therefore they
> require a device driver and the XL and XL24 used in the Indy are the
> only one that currently have a device driver.

Thanks (I think),

So if I understand what you recommending:

1) Get a Knoppix Intel compilation and CD creation environment setup.

2) Test that the above really works.

3) Modify some compilation flags and cross-compile and cross-assemble
for each of my target platforms.

4) Burn my various CDs.

I have not used debian (only RH and SUSE), but the above seems rather
overwhelming.

I will rethink my plan.

Thanks again.
Greg