[ale] Auto-mount floppy in Fedora

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Tue Jul 20 09:57:28 EDT 2004

Kenneth W Cochran wrote:
> As I remember, even Plain Old DOS (or perhaps more specifically,
> *applications* in MS/PC-DOS) would indeed detect floppy-disk
> changes, for example, the MS/PC-DOS "backup" command when
> spanning multiple floppies.  You would get a message like
> "disk change detected on drive <some letter>."  And/or some
> program would not continue (e.g. backup) would not continue
> until it detected a disk change.
>
> -kc

I was under the impression that the application looked at the file on the disk and the file determined where it was in the series (disk 4 of 7 for instance).  in fact i have several old programs in which the file names are "disk1", "disk2", etc.

I think PKZip spanned in a similar way with the zip file holding the information of its' place in the series.

also i remember the disk drive being polled during the process, so that's how i figured it "knew" there was a different disk in the drive.