[ale] Hellsouth's wonderful email service

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Tue Jul 20 02:29:02 EDT 2004

I suggest doublechecking that your system's sendmail.cf is set up
correctly to list HellSouth's outgoing mailserver as its smart server.
This would be the "DS" macro that should look like:

     DSsmtp.bellsouth.net

Of course, if you have authority on someone else's system, you could
set up a SSH encrypted pipe between TCP port 25 on your system and
theirs and completely bypass HellSouth.  I've done this to get around
ISP's braindamaged networks.

Bob Toxen
http://www.verysecurelinux.com        [Network&Linux/Unix security consulting]
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com [My book:"Real World Linux Security 2/e"]