[ale] subverting public school software

hbbs at comcast.net hbbs at comcast.net
Tue Jul 20 01:01:30 EDT 2004

150 machines with Gentoo in a week?  Not if you tried to pull the typical installation process on each one.

Given that you don't want to do anything LTSP-like, you could generate a reference build in Gentoo that can be NFSsed over to each machine after booting them with a LiveCD.  Further automation of that process would be the real leverage maker there.  Much would depend on how heterogeneous the machine population was, but I believe that you could actually cover a pretty wide range of machines with a single build.

The question would be, would it be worth it compared to the other paths forward you've already identified?  I'm not terribly happy with the way Gentoo deals with desktop niceties like sound, automounting of removable media (it doesn't, unless you make it so).

Then again, I would have a hard time pulling myself away from an LTSP-like environment because then you can use crap for desktop machines but everything still runs well on your server cluster pulled out of all that Georgia school system overspending...

- Jeff