[ale] Hellsouth's wonderful email service

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 18 23:35:38 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 22:30, Geoffrey wrote:

> So how is it then, that they were going to convert my existing DSL
> service to business without changing anything?

Same 2 wires... different plan, etc.  It's like an airplane with First
and Coach...some people will say that it is still the same metal tube.

> Where did you get this information?  I've scanned there website and
> never found anything defining any difference.  Further I was told as
> much on the phone.

www.bellsouth.com  <- look at the "tab bar" on the top.  Too much detail
and options to describe here.  Also, just so you don't think that this
is unique to BellSouth, look at www.earthlink.com for a similar "tab
bar" and all their details about Business class services.

> So how is it that having a business dsl service justifying running
> servers?  You're just as likely to have an improperly configured network
> or spamming.

Not at all.  Some Business yes, but not as many as home/personal use
systems.  I run a non-profit mailserver for business customers.  My
number one problem comes from dial-up, cable, and low-cost DSL IP
addresses (SPAM, port-scans, apache attacks, etc).  Business class
services cost more, are more likely to be respectable, are more easily
contacted (abuse@, postmaster@, etc), and have a legal entity that is $$
accountable.  Mom and Dad's 12yo son can't be touched for unknowingly
downloading a virus/worm that relays spam.

I personally wish that BellSouth and others would completely proxy http
and block everything else (except maybe AIM and games).  I am just as
mad at ISPs for allowing their home users to use port-scanners, etc. as
I am at the idiots who use them,  In my world everyone is guilty until
proven innocent. ;)

-Jim P.