[ale] Hellsouth's wonderful email service

tfreeman at intel.digichem.net tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sun Jul 18 16:27:33 EDT 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 12:58, Chuck Huber wrote:
> > Well... The Hellsouth saga will soon be over.
>
> No, it probably won't be.  Soon enough yet another person will want to
> do everything you are attempting to do before they really understand
> what they are doing.  It still amazes me that people are surprised when
> their $40/mon internet connection has restrictions.

I don't know why it amazes you - most of us cann't (won't??) read and
comprehend the legal agreement we sign/agree to before starting the
service. Well, ok. Those agreements do often seem written by professors of
obfuscation, but mild surprise is about as far as you need go.

> I am extremely glad that BellSouth is trying to control spam that
> originates from their DSL customers.  No one behind a Cable/DSL modem
> needs to send email directly to another server.  If you want to run a
> mailserver.... lease a server or get a business IP connection not a home
> user connection.

We have a point of agreement, and a point of semi-disagreement.
Thankfully, however competently/incompetently they are doing it,
BellSouth is working to reduce the spam load on email. I'll bake the
brownie points and you can deliver them as it were, as we are in agreement.

"No one behind a Cable/DSL ..." might better read something like "No one
with consumer/home service ...", and I may well disagree with you.
Granted, a majority of such customers make such a statement true, but not
all of such customers are. I don't see any need to make my life more
expensive just so I can email the thirty or so relatives with email on a
monthly basis. Nor do I see a reason to double my costs and get a business
line just because I'm running a network behind my modem. Etc, Etc.
BellSouth does see a reason to make those extra costs necessary, but it
seems to me the reason is they own the line, and they can increase their
profit without a similar increase in cost. YMMV, and BellSouth's milage
does vary.