[ale] [OT]Win2k domain setting is permanent?

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Wed Jul 14 23:15:35 EDT 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 22:46, Jonathan Rickman wrote:

> Unless someone got...ahem...enthusiastic with an Active Directory group
> policy, the local administrator account should be able to do anything. If
> not, you might google for registry edits to undo the policy screwups. You
> can render a system darn near unusable if you get out of hand with policy
> templates, but as long as you can still get to the registry you can usually
> fix it. What OS? An XP Pro box that has been totally locked down is pretty
> tough to break and it is often not worth the time expended unless there is
> data that must be preserved. It is rare to run into that though. Most admins
> who have the knowledge to do that sort of thing generally have better sense
> than to do that sort of thing...if you follow me. :)

I'll be looking for registry edits. The domain controller is gone and
thus can't be contacted to disengage the mess. It looks like someone was
practicing Win2k server setups with active directory and managed to slow
the entire network to a crawl. All of the client machines are Win2k.

The local admin account (after I reset it with my magic linux boot
floppy that does just that!) has access to everything but the change
request fails with an error about "count number" (may be different, I'm
tired). I can get to the registry and dig out domain keys (yuck). The
joy is that I don't know what the original server keys were named.

Hmm. fdisk is looking like a better solution. Too bad they can't reload
their Quickbooks since the yahoo who screwed up the network also lost
the Quickbooks install CD (the expensive one, the multi-user version).