[ale] OT: Win98 + Infections

Preston Boyington PBoyington at polyengineering.com
Wed Jul 7 10:57:17 EDT 2004

Dow Hurst wrote:
> Preston,
> Would explain what these options are as I've never heard of
> 98Lite or the 95(b) shell or sleek.  Thanks for your time and
> thought as you have some excellent ideas here.
>
> Dow

Thank you sir, I appreciate that.

can't check it from my workstation but the website was http://www.98lite.net/

from the Manual (I liked 98Lite so much I bought it a couple years ago):

"? if you intend installing 98micro or 98lite with the higher
  performance and lighter weight Windows 95 Explorer Shell
  desktop option (called the SLEEK desktop option in the
  installer) you will also need to copy the following three
  Windows 95 files to the setup files directory:

  EXPLORER.EXE
  SHELL32.DLL
  COMDLG32.DLL

  These need to come from an original Windows 95 CDROM; 95a, or
  95b -- Windows 95c has integrated IE4 so files from 95c are
  not compatible."

"The target partition must have enough space for the Windows
Installation Files (130 MB) and enough space for the desired
installation profile as follows:

Profile     	Space

micro		50 MB
sleek		90 MB
chubby		110 MB
overweight	120 MB

98mirco completely eliminates the Microsoft HTML engine
(SHDOCVW.DLL, and MSHTML.DLL). You can not run any program that
relies on this IE Engine; e.g. Outlook Express, FrontPage, and
MS Money are out. But a system with Apache, Netscape, Opera,
Pegasus Mail, Gravity, Agent etc. would be just fine! Microsoft
Office 97 will install and run beautifully under 98micro!
Our tests and diagnostics suggests that 98micro can be 15% to
20% faster than a stock Windows 98 installation.  See the
98lite.net Performance Page http://www.98lite.net/perform.html
for details."

It's the only way to play with Windows (which is like advising someone that hasn't experience to "hold the snake by the tail")

Preston