[ale] [Semi-OT] Intermittent web connection loss but not network loss

Keith Morris - IQ keith at iqtv.com
Wed Jul 7 10:54:26 EDT 2004

I have been racking my brain on this and googling all over the place but
have yet to find a solution and was hoping someone here my have some
insight.

I have a network of about 40 machines that connect to the internet
through a Smoothwall firewall running iptables. About a month ago,
different clients on the network started losing web access. When this
happens, most of the time they can still check email, ftp, IM, ping,
access network shares, etc. just lose web access (though occasionally
they will loose one of the other services). Interestingly, it doesn't
happen to all clients at the same time, generally only 1 machine will
exhibit this at a time.

The clients are WinXP machines.  Sometimes a simple ipconfig /release ;
ipconfig /renew will bring the connectivity back, but a logoff/logon
will ALWAYS bring the web connection back.

DHCP and DNS is provided by a win2K ActiveDirectory server. It seems
that the Smoothwall should be completely unaware of the domain structure
and simply be routing based on MAC address and IP so it doesn't seem
that the Smoothie would just intermittently start dropping port 80
requests from a single client then recover after the user logged off and
back on (as the ip doesn't get touched in that situation).

I'm beating my head against a wall trying to figure it out. Any ideas?
--
:: Keith Morris
:: Creative Director